Here is a list of steps required to install ownCloud on a Synology NAS. I have a DS413 and I was able to install ownCloud on it. I don't know about the other Synology models out there. Let me know, if you succeeded to install ownCloud on any other model.
ownCloud is not part of the official Synology packet repository. You need to add the community repository to install packets from there.
- Log into the Synology admin site
- Open Package Center and open the Settings. Under Package Sources, add http://packages.synocommunity.com/ as a source (see screenshot). Click Ok to confirm the new repository.
- In Package Center, refresh the list of available packets by pressing the Refresh button at the top of the window
- Now search for MariaDB and install it. This is required to install Owncloud. Otherwise, the installation of ownCloud will abort with an error. MariaDB is a fork of MySQL and is one of two databases recommended by ownCloud. The other one is PostgreSQL.
- Next enable Web Station in the Control Panel. ownCloud is a webapp and needs the http server to properly work.
- Before we continue with the ownCloud installation, you need to create a new shared folder. The installation of ownCloud failed in the beginning, because this folder is required, but could not be created.
- Open the Control Panel and open Shared Folder. Create a new shared folder and give it the name ownCloud (this is the default during the ownCloud installation).
- Check off Hide this shared folder in "My Network Places". Nobody should modify any content in this directory. This belongs to the ownCloud installation!
- Change the permissions of the newly created shared folder. In order to grant ownCloud read/write permissions, select http from the Local Groups (in the Dropdown list on the left hand side above the table) and check the box in the Read/Write column. Press the OK button when done.
- Now search for ownCloud and install it.
- During the installation of ownCloud, you will be asked to enter the password for the root user. Leave this field empty. By default there root password is not set (this is not secure at all, but for demo purposes, this should be alright)
- After ownCloud was installed properly, click on the URL in the ownCloud overview page in the Package Center. In my case it's http://192.168.1.22/owncloud.
- Now you will be greeted with ownCloud's login page. Type in your admin password and log into your ownCloud installation. The administration is part of another blog post.
This is a list of steps to install ownCloud on a Synology NAS DS413. The steps cover the installation of dependencies required to run ownCloud. The administration of ownCloud is not part of this post.
I hope this will help anyone to successfully install ownCloud. Let me know if you have any questions or other constructive feedback.